Highly specific Clearance method for HDL-C detection
Accurate measurement of LDL-Cholesterol is of vital importance in therapies which focus on lipid reduction to prevent atherosclerosis or reduce its progress and to avoid plaque rupture.
It is recommended a patient get tested when aged 40; as part of a routine CV health check; if they are already thought to be at risk of CVD for another reason; or to monitor their response to treatments which lower LDL Cholesterol. Additionally:
- Elevated LDL levels correlate with the extent of cardiovascular disease
- A decrease in LDL levels correlates with a reduction the symptoms of cardio-vascular disease
- LDL Cholesterol can therefore be a valuable test in assessing the response of a patient to treatment with drugs such as statins
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is one of the five major groups of lipoproteins that enable transport of multiple different fat molecules, including cholesterol. It is often informally referred to as the bad cholesterol.
Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL) are synthesised in the liver by the action of various Lipolytic enzymes on triglyceride rich Very Low Density Lipoproteins (VLDLs). Specific LDL receptors exist to facilitate the elimination of LDL from plasma by liver parenchymal cells. It has been shown that most of the cholesterol stored in atherosclerotic plaques originates from LDL. For this reason the LDL-Cholesterol concentration is considered to be the most important clinical predictor, of all single parameters, with respect to coronary atherosclerosis.
Key Features of Randox LDL Cholesterol
- Exceptional correlation with standard methods – A correlation coefficient of r=0.99 was found when measured against the Ultracentrifugation method
- Wide measuring range – With a measuring range of 0.189-22.2mmol/l, it will comfortably detect levels outside of the healthy limit of 4.90mmol/l
- Excellent stability – Stable to expiry when stored at 2-8°C
- Liquid ready-to-use reagents
RIQAS EQA Scheme
- Lipid Programme
- Clinical Chemistry Controls
- Lipid Controls
- Lipid Calibrators
|CH1384||R1 3 x 2.5L||R2 1 x 2.5L|
|CH2656||R1 6 x 78ml||R2 3 x 52ml|
|CH2657||R1 6 x 30ml||R2 3 x 20ml|
|CH3841||R1 3 x 51ml||R2 3 x 20ml|
|CH9702||R1 6 x 20ml||R2 2 x 20ml|
|CH8032||R1 4 x 19.2ml||R2 4 x 8.2ml|
|CH8312||R1 4 x 20ml||R2 4 x 9ml|
Applications are available for a large range of clinical chemistry analysers. Contact us for more information.