Quick and accurate testing for the risk of myocardial infarction (MI)
Research has shown individuals with a predominance of sLDL have a 3-fold increased risk of myocardial infarction (MI). Elevated levels of sLDL are associated with a sedentary lifestyle, a diet high in saturated fat, insulin resistance, pre-diabetes and genetic disposition. Measurement of sLDL allows the clinician to get a more comprehensive picture of lipid risk factors and tailor treatment accordingly. Reducing LDL levels reduce the risk of both CVD and MI.
It is recommended a patient get tested when:
- aged 40
- as part of a routine CV health check
- if they are already thought to be at risk of CVD for another reason
- to monitor their response to treatments which lower LDL Cholesterol
sLDL is a subtype of LDL cholesterol. There are two main types of LDL which vary in size through genetic determination and dietary lipid intake, ranging from small and dense to large and buoyant LDL. All LDLs transport triglycerides and cholesterol to the tissues but their atherogenesis varies according to size. Smaller particles such as sLDL more readily permeate the inner arterial wall and are more susceptible to oxidation.
Previous tests such as ultracentrifugation and electrophoresis based methods are used for the measurement of sLDL-C but these methods are both laborious and time-consuming.
Randox uses the “Denka Seiken” method which produces results in ten minutes. There are two main reaction steps based on the presence of surfactants and enzymes that selectively react with certain groups of lipoproteins.
Key Features of Randox sLDL Cholesterol
- Utilises the “Denka Seiken” method which produces results in ten minutes
- Exceptional correlation with standard methods – A correlation coefficient of r=0.99 was found when measured against the Ultracentrifugation method
- Wide measuring range – With a measuring range of 0.189-22.2 mmol/l, it will comfortably detect levels outside of the healthy limit of 4.90 mmol/l
- Excellent stability – Stable to expiry when stored at 2-8°C
- Liquid ready-to-use reagents
RIQAS EQA Scheme
- Lipid Programme
- Clinical Chemistry Controls
- Lipid Controls
- Lipid Calibrators
562616R1 1 x 19.8mlR2 1 x 8.6ml
Applications are available for a large range of clinical chemistry analysers. Contact us for more information.